Thursday 17th December 2015
For most people, hand washing is as routine as teeth brushing twice a day, but research has found that only five per cent of people actually wash their hands correctly.
With the average person having between two and 10 million bacteria between fingertip and elbow, hand washing is not something that should be ignored.
A Michigan State University Study found that whilst washroom users were likely to make use of hand washing facilities available, 95% of them didn't wash their hands adequately or for long enough to actually kill bacteria.
The study also found:
- People were more likely to wash their hands in the morning
- People were less likely to wash their hands if the sink was dirty
- People were more likely to wash their hands if there was sign to remind them
- A lack of hand washing can lead to all sorts of health issues as well as absence from work and the spreading of bacteria, the correct washroom solution is essential in encouraging users to wash and dry their hands effectively.
A foam soap dispenser and an intelligent paper towel dispenser, that keeps paper enclosed and increases efficiency, will urge washroom users to raise hand hygiene standards. Hygienic dispensing solutions provide a constant reminder that washing hands is not something that you can afford to skip.
Perfect your hand washing technique
- Wet your hands with running water and apply soap
- Rub your hands together and scrub them well. Scrub the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails
- Continue rubbing your hands for at least 20 seconds
- Rinse your hands under running water
- Dry your hands using a paper towel